ATTRACTIONS

NJEGOŠEVA ULICA

NJEGOŠEVA ULICA

NJEGOŠEVA ULICA

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

ATTRACTIONS

PROMENADE PET DANICA

PROMENADE PET DANICA

PROMENADE PET DANICA

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

ATTRACTIONS

CHURCH OF ST. LEOPOLD MANDIC

CHURCH OF ST. LEOPOLD MANDIC

CHURCH OF ST. LEOPOLD MANDIC

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

ATTRACTIONS

TITO’S VILLA GALEB

TITO’S VILLA GALEB

TITO’S VILLA GALEB

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

ATTRACTIONS

ST. JEROME

ST. JEROME

ST. JEROME

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

ATTRACTIONS

KANLI KULA FORTRESS

KANLI KULA FORTRESS

KANLI KULA FORTRESS

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

ATTRACTIONS

CHURCH OF ST. ARCHANGEL MICHAEL

CHURCH OF ST. ARCHANGEL MICHAEL

CHURCH OF ST. ARCHANGEL MICHAEL

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

ATTRACTIONS

CLOCK TOWER

CLOCK TOWER

CLOCK TOWER

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

ATTRACTIONS

FORTE MARE FORTRESS

FORTE MARE FORTRESS

FORTE MARE FORTRESS

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

ATTRACTIONS

ŠPANJOLA FORTRESS

ŠPANJOLA FORTRESS

ŠPANJOLA FORTRESS

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

ATTRACTIONS

CITADELA

CITADELA

CITADELA

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

ATTRACTIONS

MONASTERY SAVINA

MONASTERY SAVINA

MONASTERY SAVINA

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

previous arrowprevious arrow
next arrownext arrow
Slider
Wednesday, 04 April 2018 12:45

MONASTERY SAVINA

Written by
Rate this item
(0 votes)
MONASTERY SAVINA MONASTERY SAVINA
The complex of the Monastery Savina is located 2 km east of Herceg Novi in the unique ambience of Mediterranean vegetation. It consists of two churches dedicated to the ascension the Virgin, the monastery dormitory with the treasury and the church of St. Sava, separated at a nearby hill. The monastery’s treasury contains extremely valuable objects – exhibits among which are distinguished: crystal cross of St. Sava from the 13th century, reliquary of the Monastery Tvrdos from 1615, Jesus shroud from 1642, the silver host tray from 1648, one chalice from 1650, the gospel of 1685, unique portrait of the Russian Emperor Peter the Great as well as a series of carved and richly handmade and decorated old throne crosses. In the monastery library there is a large number of valuable books and documents. In addition to the museum treasures that are exhibited in the treasury, Savina also has a holy miraculous icon, Mother of God, called the Virgin of Savina. This worthy icon is considered miraculous by pious people, without distinction in faith. It is credited with the salvation of the monastery when Venetian captain Grerman, sailing in by galleys under the monastery, wanted to blow it up. The icon was contributed to the monastery by the family of captain Josip Komnenovic from Topla. In addition to this icon, in the large church there is also a small icon of the Mother of God, the contribution of the Russian empress Catherine the Great. Above the doors of the Small Church of the Ascension of the Virgin, on the internal side, there is a fresco – inscription dating from 1831, whereby as the year of origin is mentioned 1030, but it is considered more likely that the church originated from the time of Kosac. On the inner walls, several layers of fresco painting were discovered and the oldest was found under the layer of frescoes is from 1565. It is believed that it was made in the middle of the 15th century since has the stylistic characteristics of painting by Lovro Dobricevic. The youngest painting is from 1831. Iconostasis is composed of several parts from different epochs. Imperial doors called “from Tvrdos” and a great Crucifixion above it was made in 1703 by Dimitrije Daskal and the temple icon of the Ascension of the Virgin was made by his son Rafailo. The great church of the Ascension of the Virgin was built from 1777 to 1799 by the master of Korcula, Nikola Foretic. The preserved documents show that in 454 workers participated in the construction in the first eight years. In architectural terms, the church is a mixture of styles from the Byzantine, Romanesque – Greek to Baroque and is a true example of a successful connection of Eastern and Western culture, which in this area has for centuries merged into remarkable works of art. Iconostasis in the church, made by iconographer from Bijelo Polje, priest Simeon Lazovic, with the help of his son Aleksej, in 1795, also represents a successful blend of traditional iconography and new baroque forms. The Great Savina Church does not have one donor. The donor are people themselves. The multiplicity of saved obituaries of some families in the church confirms this. Savina is a monastery that gained lasting respect among the surrounding population and has raised under its vaults a gallery of true monks who were great patriots, hard workers, bearers of culture and education in the time of the flourishing of the freedomary ideas of the people of this region. For years, in Savina has been run the school by many people that became famous later. Church of St. Sava is located on a hill above the dormitory and for it the tradition says that it was built by St. Sava in the 13th century. The monastery was even named after him as well as the whole place where it is located. Around the church there is a courtyard and not great cemetery with a well known viewpoint and a view that reaches even to Lovcen. It was built in the tradition of domestic sacral architecture single-apsis, 9,5m long and 6m wide and height of about 6m, with a bell-tower on the distaff and oculus above the western door. Antimins (i.e. one of the most important furnishings of the altar in many Eastern Christian liturgical traditions) originates from the time of Arsenije IV Jovanovic Sakobent, in 1740, he was consecrated by Paul, the bishop of Herzegovina and Mileseva, in 1794. The view from this place to the monastery and Boka Bay is magnificent and unforgettable.


CONTACT
Website
Email
Address Manastirska 21, Savina, Herceg Novi
Phone 1 +382 (0) 31 345 300
Read 23 times

Latest from Herceg Novi Tourist Board

More in this category: « NJEGOŠEVA ULICA

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.

Herceg Novi Attractions

2018-04-04

NJEGOŠEVA ULICA

NJEGOŠEVA ULICA

NJEGOŠEVA ULICA

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

2018-04-04

PROMENADE PET DANICA

PROMENADE PET DANICA

PROMENADE PET DANICA

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

2018-04-04

CHURCH OF ST. LEOPOLD MANDIC

CHURCH OF ST. LEOPOLD MANDIC

CHURCH OF ST. LEOPOLD MANDIC

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

2018-04-04

TITO’S VILLA GALEB

TITO’S VILLA GALEB

TITO’S VILLA GALEB

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

2018-04-04

ST. JEROME

ST. JEROME

ST. JEROME

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

2018-04-04

KANLI KULA FORTRESS

KANLI KULA FORTRESS

KANLI KULA FORTRESS

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

2018-04-04

CHURCH OF ST. ARCHANGEL MICHAEL

CHURCH OF ST. ARCHANGEL MICHAEL

CHURCH OF ST. ARCHANGEL MICHAEL

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

2018-04-04

CLOCK TOWER

CLOCK TOWER

CLOCK TOWER

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

2018-04-04

FORTE MARE FORTRESS

FORTE MARE FORTRESS

FORTE MARE FORTRESS

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

2018-04-04

ŠPANJOLA FORTRESS

ŠPANJOLA FORTRESS

ŠPANJOLA FORTRESS

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

2018-04-04

CITADELA

CITADELA

CITADELA

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

2018-04-04

MONASTERY SAVINA

MONASTERY SAVINA

MONASTERY SAVINA

Herceg Novi Tourist Board

previous arrow
next arrow
Slider

Test Zoutube

ATTRACTIONS
NJEGOŠEVA ULICA
The town’s main street, open to traffic and pedestrians, parallel to the city’s main boulevard. The street is named after the famous bishop and poet, who spent part of his youth in Herceg Novi, stu...
Play
ATTRACTIONS
PROMENADE PET DANICA
Promenade of Herceg Novi called “Five Danica”, in the length of 6 kilometers, stretches along the sea from Igalo to Meljine. The promenade is named after the names of five Danica, five young girls ...
Play
ATTRACTIONS
CHURCH OF ST. LEOPOLD MANDIC
The church is located in the old town, next to the church of St. Jeronim. This Catholic church was built on the orders of Jeronim Korner, in 1688, immediately after the occupation of the city by th...
Play
ATTRACTIONS
TITO’S VILLA GALEB
As part of the Institute Igalo there is a complex that once belonged to a lifetime president of SFR Yugoslavia, Josip Broz Tito. This complex is known as villa “Galeb” which was built in 1976. This...
Play
ATTRACTIONS
ST. JEROME
It was built in 1856 and is located in the Old Town, on the lower square – Square Mica Pavlovic. In the same place, earlier (in the 17th century) was raised Catholic parish church, dedicated to St....
Play
ATTRACTIONS
KANLI KULA FORTRESS
Kanli Tower (Bloody Tower), a monumental fortress in the Old Town, was built by the Turks after 1539. It was built on the site and foundations of an earlier fortress. In the present size, the work ...
Play
ATTRACTIONS
CHURCH OF ST. ARCHANGEL MICHAEL
On the main square of the Old Town, Herceg Stjepan Square – which is popularly referred to as Belavista, is one of the gems of architecture from Boka, specific by architectural and artistic workman...
Play
ATTRACTIONS
CLOCK TOWER
Clock Tower – Tora was built in 1667 by order of Sultan Mahmud. During the Turkish governing this was the main gate. In the inner passage through Clock Tower there is a sculpture of Mother of God (cal...
Play
ATTRACTIONS
FORTE MARE FORTRESS
Forte Mare Fortress (The Sea Fortress) is located on the coast. It was built between the 14th and 17th century, restored in 1833 and from 1952 was reconstructed in the summer cinema. The fortress w...
Play
ATTRACTIONS
ŠPANJOLA FORTRESS
The fortress called Spanjola, by the local population, retained its name up to nowadays, even though the Turks rebuilt it around 1539 – 1548, at the place where the Spanish built it, briefly conquerin...
Play
ATTRACTIONS
CITADELA
Citadela (Macel – Mezzaluna) was built on the seashore itself, so that by its southern walls were in the sea. In 1702, Peter Angelo Mango (Pietro Angelo Mango) merged the upper part of the Lower Town ...
Play
ATTRACTIONS
MONASTERY SAVINA
The complex of the Monastery Savina is located 2 km east of Herceg Novi in the unique ambience of Mediterranean vegetation. It consists of two churches dedicated to the ascension the Virgin, the monas...
Play
previous arrow
next arrow
Slider
SUBRA

SUBRA

The second place for entry into the depths of the Orjen massif is the Vratlo notch, the meeting point of Mediterranean and crude and mountainous interior. Access is possible by a marked hiking trail (1h), or by weak macadam road (only for SUV) from the site…
April 04, 2018 Herceg Novi Tourist Board
ACTIVE VACATION EXCURSIONS
VELIKI KABAO

VELIKI KABAO

The massif of Orjen belongs to the outer, coastal part of the Dinaric mountain system and its main peak, Veliki Kabao (1894 m) is also the highest point of the coastal Dinarides. It occupies an area of over 400 square km, of which the peripheral southwestern…
April 04, 2018 Herceg Novi Tourist Board
ACTIVE VACATION EXCURSIONS
ORJEN MASSIF

ORJEN MASSIF

Owing to their favorable position, Orjen and Herzegovina’s hinterland were in the past also interesting for Herceg Novi conquerors and especially for Austro-Hungarian Empire, which capacitated some of the hinterland springs and made functional roads, so that…
April 04, 2018 Herceg Novi Tourist Board
ACTIVE VACATION EXCURSIONS
VRBANJ, ŽUKOVICA, VUČJI DO

VRBANJ, ŽUKOVICA, VUČJI DO

Vrbanj is the favorite mountain resort of citizens from Herceg Novi and their guests. There are restaurants, taverns, apartments, hiking lodges and sports grounds. Also, apart from the destination, Vrbanj is the starting point for going to the depths of…
April 04, 2018 Herceg Novi Tourist Board
ACTIVE VACATION EXCURSIONS
DOBREČ

DOBREČ

April 04, 2018 ACTIVE VACATION EXCURSIONS Herceg Novi Tourist Board
If you want to enjoy something unusual – there is an ideal place for you on the Lustica peninsula, called Dobrec. Exceptional peace and microclimate, created by the surrounding typical Mediterranean vegetation, influenced the name of the bay, but also on…
ROSE

ROSE

April 04, 2018 ACTIVE VACATION EXCURSIONS Herceg Novi Tourist Board
Rose, the ancient Greek settlement of Ponto Rosa, destroyed by the Saracens in 867. This small port, mentioned in the records of Constantine Porphyrogenitus in the year 841, provided ships with protection from the south and from the bora. An important dock…
KLINCI

KLINCI

April 04, 2018 ACTIVE VACATION EXCURSIONS Herceg Novi Tourist Board
Only a few kilometers from Rose, surrounded by hectares of olive trees, pomegranate trees and the forest of laurel, is located village of Klinci. In this hidden gem, once completely abandoned, slowly but surely rural tourism develops. Three hundred years old…
TIĆI

TIĆI

April 04, 2018 ACTIVE VACATION EXCURSIONS Herceg Novi Tourist Board
Located in the village of Tici, the village house Moric is engaged in the organic production of olive oil. It offers a tour of olive groves, a new modern line for processing olives as well as an old mill with the unavoidable tasting of olive oil and other…