Citadela (Macel – Mezzaluna) was built on the seashore itself, so that by its southern walls were in the sea. In 1702, Peter Angelo Mango (Pietro Angelo Mango) merged the upper part of the Lower Town with a strong wall with the Citadel and thus thick walls surrounded the entire city, as testifies the inscription, which is placed near the Capuchin monastery (today St. Leopold).
Citadela with Forte Mare fortress gets the main defensive character as a fortress at the sea and the tower with the walls was built during the various invaders. Just in its foundations, the beginnings of Herceg Novi should be sought. The stone bridge above today’s promenade makes its component part. With the existing project, this fortress could be restored to its original state, just because fragments of the demolished walls are preserved around its foundations. The Citadela was ruined during the last earthquake of 1979, which was fateful for it, as the same collapsed into the sea.
Address Šetalište Pet Danica, Škver, Herceg Novi
Phone 1 +382 (0) 31 350 820
Phone 2 +382 (0) 31 350 840